Beefy Lentil Soup
Beefy Lentil Soup
YIELD: 6 servings
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: about 45 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
1 C picked and cleaned green Lentils
3 stalks of Celery
1 medium yellow Onion
1 C raw Baby Spinach
3 cloves Garlic, minced
Juice of ½ lemon
½ tsp dried Basil
¼ tsp dried Thyme
1 tsp Tumeric
1 1/2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp ground Ginger
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
S & P to taste
3 tbsp EVOO + 1 tbsp Butter
7 cups Beef Stock (do NOT use broth)
3 cups Water
1 can diced tomatoes
1 lb. ground Beef
1. Pick, clean, and separate Lentils. Set aside.
2. Chop onion, carrot, and celery into similar size.
3. In a large stock pot, cook ground beef completely and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside once cooked.
4. In the same stock pot, heat the EVVO and butter on medium high heat. Add in chopped veggies and sauté until onion is translucent (about 4-5 minutes)
5. Add in diced tomatoes with the juice from the can. Allow to simmer with veggies for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add the cooked ground beef in to the veggie mix along with all spices (cumin, thyme, basil, turmeric, red pepper flakes) along with S & P – about 1 tsp of each
7. Pour in 6 cups of beef stock and 3 cups of water. Stir to combine.
8.Taste broth to adjust salt and pepper if needed. Use a light hand. As the soup cooks, saltiness will deepen.
9. Add in the cup of Lentils, and cover for 25-30 minutes or until Lentils are fork tender.
10. Once lentils are cooked to desired tenderness, remove 1 cup of cooked soup and either blend or mash (I used a hand potato masher and it worked great, and I kept it fairly chunky). Add back in to whole soup pot, this will add thickness to the soup.
11. Add in fresh baby spinach, and cover for 1-2 minutes to allow the spinach to wilt.
12. Squeeze lemon over entire pot, stir, and serve.
*Note: The soup will store in the fridge for up to 3 days and will reheat like a dream!